A friend recently described Lancaster as “a colorful rush of life,” she said. “Lancaster is full of art, entertainment and personality.” It’s true, Lancaster is a great place to live, work, and play.
Over the last two decades, this community has blossomed into a thriving community: a place where residents are proud of the boast that “I am from Lancaster.” The city offers an energetic downtown, and lovely historic neighborhoods.
Located in beautiful south-central Pennsylvania, Lancaster was originally settled in 1718, making it the oldest inland city in the United States.
Lancaster offers a:
- Rich cultural and historical heritage, From President Buchanan’s house to General Hand’s Rockford Plantation, Lancaster knows history.
- Vibrant art community
- Great restaurants & vibrant small businesses
- Central Market, where market day is like a cocktail party in which old friends meet.
- New convention center, a focal point of commerce and society in our fair city.
I am proud to be Living in Lancaster.
Some Local Attractions:
- Central Market – fresh local goods sold in an historic downtown atmosphere
- Lancaster Barnstormers – Atlantic League professional baseball
- Eastern Market – local fresh produce, ethnic foods, music, special events
- North Museum of Natural History & Science – exhibits, special events, lecture programs, field trips and 3rd largest planetarium in PA
- Fulton Opera House – National Historic Landmark, providing theater since 1852
- Rockford Plantation – elegant 1794 mansion of Gen. Edward Hand, the Adjutant General of the Continental Army
- James Buchanan’s Wheatland – tour the Federal mansion of America’s 15th president
- Demuth Museum – Charles Demuth’s restores artists’ studio, gardens & 18th century home & art gallery – oldest U.S. tobacco shop
- Lancaster Museum of Art – local, national & international artists’ visual arts exhibits
- Lancaster County Historical Society – exhibits of fine art, crafts, artifacts & documents, library – archives available for geneological research
- Lancaster Cultural History Museum – regional 18th and 19th century furniture, quilts, silver & fraktur
- Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church – a station of the Underground Railroad, presents living historical productions
- Pennsylvania College of Art & Design – offers BFA in fine art, Illustration & graphic design, plus certificate, credit and non-credit courses